Tuesday 10 November 2009

The First Show- Aired 1/11/09

A ridiculously nervy start to my glittering career. I believe I lost a total of 3 days sleep leading up to the debut on the 1st of November. The theme was "Black History Month" for the month past of October. I felt really confident pitching this to the Radio MK guys as a relevant, cultural idea. Having not seen who the producers were I felt rather sheepish when I did eventually meet up. I sat in a chair facing Charles - the Grand Fromage - saying he liked my application for the station, so there I am -as Waspish as you can get - opposite Charles - As Black as you can get replete with dreads - and me cringing as I watch myself talking about my idea for black history month. Alas, he was overwhelmed and I was offered the Sunday 12-2 slot. The Show is basically my music i.e. Jazz, electronica, Chillout etc interspersed with relevant cultural news and anything else that catches my eye.

I tried to profile the great Jazz legend Miles Davis, so here is playlist 1 for the show:

-Afros In Ya, Mushroom Jazz 5
-Milestones, Miles Davis, Milestones
-It Ain't Necessary So, Miles Davis, Porgy & Bess
-So What, Miles Davis, Kind Of Blue
-Eighty-One, Miles Davis, E.S.P.
-Footprints, The Miles Davis Quintet, Miles Smiles
-Masqualero, Miles Davis, Sorcerer
-Fall, Miles Davis, Nefertiti
-Country Son, Miles Davis, Miles In The Sky
-In A Silent Way/It's About That Time, Miles Davis, In A Silent Way
-Spanish Key, Miles Davis, Bitches Brew
-Black Satin, Miles Davis, On The Corner
-I’ve Known Rivers, Courtney Pine, Modern Day Jazz Stories
-News From Verona, Portico Quartet, Knee-Deep In The North Sea
-The 37th Chamber, Courtney Pine, Modern Day Jazz Stories
-Spiritual, John Coltrane, Live At The Village Vanguard: The Master Takes

Sadly the first show was hampered by a technological failure. My playlist that supposedly ran for some 2 hours was massacred by an incomplete conversion from Itunes to mp3 formate effectively removing 30 minutes of music from the end of all the tracks. The mixing between my voice and the music is sheer crap as well.

I'll still make it available none-the-less.

Benny

No comments:

Post a Comment